Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Pushing my buttons


Ben got me a great birthday present: A push-button light switch from Rejuvenation. It makes a delightful "clack" noise when you push the mother of pearl inlaid button.

Now for a switch plate to cover it. Luckily for me Rejuvenation was out of their simple brass switchplates, so I've ordered the Victorian brass one from House of Antique Hardware. They have the best selection of push-button switch plates I've been able to find online. Their Art Deco switch plate was also very tempting, but I'm slating the new light switch for a hallway where I'm going with an over the top Victorian feel, and this switch and switch plate will bring a nice turn of the century "electricity worship" feel to the space.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You may also find vintage and reproduction plates on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Broken-Leaf-Push-Button-Light-Switch-Plate_W0QQitemZ220153618791QQihZ012QQcategoryZ37916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sara said...

Thanks, Evan! I didn't see anything I liked better than what I ordered, although I was tempted by this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bake-King-Pan-VINTAGE-Push-Button-Single-Switch-Plate_W0QQitemZ330158566642QQihZ014QQcategoryZ37916QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Made out of an old baking tin...

Even with ebay there doesn't seem to be a lot of options.

Pip said...

I grew up in a 100 year old house and we had very similar light switches on all of our fixtures. We eventually had to replace them (the old wiring was a fire danger). I missed them greatly, so I'm pleased to see similar styles are still available.

J said...

I have one in my 102 year old house. it's pretty cool.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I remember visiting my great grandmother's house in West Viginia. She had the dual push button switches. I always thought the On looked like pearl. Love it! Want it!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I gotta have some of those!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin