Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My New Ceiling Fan


I'm moving to my master bedroom in my home renovation, and I knew I wanted a ceiling fan. Luckily, ceiling fans can be very steampunk (are they originally Victorian, or do they all just look like they are?), as is evidenced by the posts I've done on ceiling fans in the past. The trick for my room was finding something that wasn't too big or too expensive, and that combined the ceiling fan with lights. Oh, yes, it also couldn't be too big or too low, as it was going in the bedroom of a 1960s era house.

Todd came to my rescue by spotting this one at his local Home Depot. It's the Hampton Bay 13 In. Berre Walnut Depalm Ceiling Fan -- 20 inches high and $299. It was out of stock for a while, but now it's back in and I just ordered it.

13 comments:

geek details said...

omg that's frelling awesome. I love it! I think I have to buy one for my dinning room!

Raven said...

what an awesome fan!

Unknown said...

Interesting design. A smaller (and presumably higher-speed) fan than most ceiling fixtures -- as if an old caged-blade wall fan was crossbred with a chandelier. I do wonder a bit about energy efficiency compared to the wider designs, but it's certainly an interesting alternative.

Hampton Bay has several tastefully-ornate designs that might appeal; I installed two of their larger fans myself. Their lights mount using a standard nipple, so if you get the fans without lights you can mount other lighting fixtures beneath them (as long as you stay within reasonable weight limits); I went with a frosted-glass bowl light from another manufacturer.

Anna Claire said...

Love it! I've got a 1960s-era house, too, and need a new bedroom ceiling fan. Definitely want to check this one out.

Waterbug said...

At first look I thought it from Fanimation. Half the width of a more standard ceiling fan. I also wonder about air flow. Hope you can report back on that. Great find though.

Unknown said...

Thanks very much for the post - I'm renovating an old office and when I looked at the fans shown I realized the 1908 picture of the store showed a Hunter 1886!

Unknown said...

Stunning and affordable. Loving it. I thought is was from Fanimation, too!

Jen said...

That is a marvelous find! I'll be on the look out for them next time I'm at Home Depot.

Jen

Jeremy Vedder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy Vedder said...

dude that is a sweet fan! I just got a new kitchen ceiling fans with lights but yours is much cooler than my regular one.

benbes said...

looks beautiful, I love this ceiling fan with lights.
hampton bay

Unknown said...

We just got this fan and wired it into our guest bedroom. Gorgeous! Since you can only buy it online, I should mention that the trim color isn't the silver that it looks in the pictures, it is more of a bronze.

Unknown said...

Great looking ceiling fan, I just recently got a belt driven ceiling fan which i am loving by the way. A bit pricey but unique and great looking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin