Friday, April 18, 2008

Metal Countertops!

There are a lot of different countertop options in the world, but the one with the best steampunk vibe would have to be metal countertops.

Here's a great looking bronze countertop.

Zinc is also an option, and has that whole Parisian Bistro look.

My favorite, however, is copper.

Doesn't the copper on the dark wood just look incredible?


Copper is supposed to have antibacterial properties -- this article at HGTV says "A recent British study highlighted copper's antibacterial skills: E coli survived on stainless steel for 34 days, while on copper it lasted for only four hours," so you could justify something that looks this good in terms of health.

I don't know specific prices, but I believe these are in the same ballpark as granite countertops.

Metal countertops are another example of great kitchen designs from bars. You don't find many examples of metal countertops using a Google search, but try out "bar top" instead of countertop and you find many examples.

This seems like the sort of project that would be possible if you were very handy, and after finding an article on how to build a copper countertops on Whimsie, I see that it is possible, but probably difficult.

(Sorry for the long hiatus from blogging -- I find that I can only manage one outside project at a time, and I've spent a lot of time planning a real life renovation + addition to our house. As Ben pointed out, though, that really *should* be compatible with The Steampunk Home.)

2 comments:

Art Donovan said...

Wow! These sinks are really beautiful. What a great post.

Leslie and I are also in the middle of a bath renovation and are going to use a metal top for the antique vanity. The bronze and zinc tops are really fantastic- but I'm sure are really pricey.

We'll probably use an unfinished brass top for the sink. Now comes the hard part...finding unfinished brass fixtures. It's more difficult than we ever imagined! Thanks, Sara.

Anonymous said...

Aren't zinc and copper toxic to humans though? They look cool, true, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable doing food prep on them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin