Monday, April 13, 2009

Kunstformen der Natur

Ben just pointed me to a fabulous collection of scientific prints at WikiMedia Commons. 100 plates of Ernst Haeckel's Artforms of Nature
from 1904.

Are they not the most beautiful, vibrant scientific plates? I love the symmetry of each print.


These are on the Wikimedia Commons, which means they can be freely reused without permission. In other words? Go crazy. I want to see these printed and framed around someone's office. What about using them for a bathroom? (Something about having scientific prints up to study while taking care of life's necessities appeals to me... )


What about using them for fabrics? Printed on pillows? Screened onto plates? Someone more crafty than I should do *something* with them -- and then send me pictures and links to share...

Go see the whole collection -- one is sure to appeal.

8 comments:

Karla said...

Oh, these are gorgeous! Wiki also has some lovely old watercolors of herbs and vegetables - I downloaded one of fenugreek. Thanks.

Roving Jack said...

ooooo, hey are these free for copyright purposes and such because I do a lot (a lot of a lot) of crafty things from time to time and was wondering if I could use these in a line of items that I'd make and or sell?

Sara said...

Roving Jack -- that is the case. Make away!

Ian James Anthony said...

Why do they give scenic design majors access to a plotter? The temptation is so great . . .

Mr. Natural said...

Just reading my second book about the Fawcett expidetions into the Amazon in the very early 1900's. The Victorian era was certainly one for appreciation of the natural world AND the new machine age. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Enzo Pérès-Labourdette said...

Woah!! Thankyou for this, I'm bound to make something out of them soon.

jaimie said...

beautiful! (now I need to find a source of free botanical prints!)

daysease said...

Wow, Gorgeous!! Love each of them...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin