Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Steampunk USB Drives

I try to keep The Steampunk Home, well, "home" focused, and USB drives are a bit outside of the home. (Mine are most in use when I'm *away* from my home.) but these two were too good not to share.


Carl Ulrich sent me this one:

I took an old flash drive and with the aid of a 2 dollar cigar for the
glass tube I made my own vacuum tube flash drive. The entire project
took under an hour and costs under 5 dollars.

I love simple steampunk projects!

This one, made by Dave Barton's dad, is not so simple, but oh so beautiful:


6 comments:

reverend dick said...

I appreciate the vacuum tube more.
One could use cork to good effect in the stopper.

The "pretend" gears on the 2nd are distracting. No functionality? No add-ons.

KeskaStar said...

It would be cool if the gears in the second one moved a little bit or something. As like the above commenter I do agree that the gears are distracting. I do like the tube one. Simple and easy to make.

adam said...

how about a keyboard http://www.instructables.com/id/ELEBCUMFMZA9QQ6/
simply screams look at me

daysease said...

wow, such creativity!! actually, I loved the second one... if that is distraction, okay by me... great work. both are ingenious!!

a_brighter_future said...

If you like steampunk stuff try this guy in the uk and he will ship round the world
http://www.thelittlesteampunkshop.co.uk/Computer-products.html

MLB2k11 said...

Thanks for the post. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Super Bowl Commercials 2012| Money Talks| Super Bowl Commercials 2012|

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin