Friday, August 24, 2007

Hidden Rooms

Ben pointed me to a ruminative post on BLDG Blog about the fantasy of hidden rooms. This is an aspect I hadn't thought about, and while I can't think of a hidden room in the recent steampunk readings I've done (I'm sure you could think of some), it did remind me of the secret room Because We Can designed in the 3 Rings offices



So how could you use this idea in your home? I like the "bookshelves hiding a door" idea, like at the 3 Rings offices. We (well, mostly Ben, with some of my help), built shallow bookcases covering one wall of our guestbedroom:



I wonder if we could just extend them somehow to cover the door as well, giving the illusion of a room with no door? (Kind of missing the point, though, doesn't it, to have the hidden door on the *inside* of the room?)

Of course, there's always the hidden door at the back of a wardrobe.

Previous post on the 3 Rings Offices.

4 comments:

Charlie's Aunt said...

http://www.comforthouse.com/fauxbook.html has handmade leather book spines used as wallpaper.

We covered the front of a huge filing cabinet at my school with the spines of water-damaged math textbooks that my students and I cut apart by hand.

If you don't have (or don't trust) a room full of teenagers with razorblades and exacto knives, many photocopy shops have a cutter that will make quick and safer work of the job of seperating the paper from book spine. They charge around a dollar a cut.

I don't like chopping up GOOD books just for decor. It would be easy to cover your door with college textbooks or end-of-summer garage sale finds.

Ben W. Brumfield said...

I actually had to do something similar to your file-cabinet project for the bookshelves. If you look on the right hand side of the fifth shelf down, you'll see about six books with a seventh laid on top of them. They are actually only half an inch thick, and conceal some wiring and a light switch.

I found a standard bandsaw did the trick nicely. And I used the most horrid dreck I could find -- Tom Clancy Op-Center/NetForce spinoffs purchased used at thrift shops.

daysease said...

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to incorporate a hidden doorway into our home... Now to do some thinking and planning. HM..... So worth the brainpower and planning. thank you.

bernard said...

What a perfect rooms, also the title reminded me I have a house with a lo of secret trials, that's perfect because nobody knows where I am.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin