Tuesday, May 8, 2007

"Used future"

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a big fan of Firefly/Serenity.

Browsing the Wikipedia entry for Serenity, I ran across this analysis of the look of Serenity:

The cramped interior of the Serenity ship itself appears to be strongly influenced by the 'the future looks worn down' precedent set by the Millennium Falcon[69] but devolved even further. In a similar vein to Star Wars, Serenity goes for an occasional underdone look, or "used future", as Star Wars creator George Lucas refers to it.

The "used future." I like it. I've been drawn to recycled goods as part of the steampunk look, but I couldn't articulate why it was so obviously part of it. Now I know. Thank you, Mr. Lucas, for the name and the precedent.

More on the "used future".

Steam 0%
Punk 100%

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, absolutely beautiful blog. Inspiring!

Sara said...

Thanks, Nataline! I appreciate the comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin